Geometry and Material Recommendations
General Recommendations for 3D Assets and Materials
- Avoid automatic simplification by the ByMe platform by providing assets below the threshold, for each level of detail.
- When simplification is required, the result is better if the source has lots of triangles (within stated absolute maximums) than if it is just above the triangle count maximum.
- Supported unit is millimeter (mm).
- A 3D model should have the exact dimensions of the real objects being represented - this is important to enable the ByMe platform to mix different products in the same scene.
- Normals must face outwards.
- Y axis must always point towards the back of the model. Choosing a good default orientation is key since Geometry Editor only allows 90°manipulations.
- 3D Model must be aligned with the axes.
- Avoid automatic simplification by the ByMe platform by providing assets below the threshold, for each level of detail
- Valid textures import format: .png and .jpg ; jpg files should be provided at 100% quality setting.
- PNG files should be used only if texture contains transparency.
- Only standard materials are compatible with DAE and OBJ import. For 3DS Max 2016, this includes “skyline” materials. Engine-specific materials and shaders (such as VRay materials, IRay materials, etc.) are not supported.
- Files must not include lightmaps merged into diffuse maps.
- Normal map: JPG or PNG. OpenGL normal map format (Y invert).